Can You Change Your Twitch Name?
The ability to change your name on Twitch has been requested for a long time. Twitch eventually confirmed that the name change feature had arrived in February of 2017.
You can now change your Twitch name for free once every 60 days.
There are a number of reasons why you may want to change your name on Twitch. If you’ve thought of a new name for your brand, looking to differentiate your streaming name with your old viewing name or simply want to tidy up your existing name.
Lets say you used to only stream Hearthstone or Overwatch and had HS or OW somewhere in your name and now want to remove it. This guide will take you step-by-step on how to change your name on Twitch.
How To Change Your Twitch Name
- Head over to Twitch.
- Log In to your account by going to the top right corner of the page, unless you are already logged in. Remember, if you are using a different computer, Twitch will ask you for your authentication code (A.K.A Twitch Token) if you have 2FA set up.
- Click on your profile and go to Settings.
- Once you’re here, look for the Profile Settings area and you’ll be greeted the option to change your Email, Username, Display name & Bio.
- Press the pen icon shown in the screenshot below.
- Enter the new username you wish to change to. If your new name is already taken, it will alert you before you attempt to update it. Otherwise, it’ll display a green tick to let you know you’re good.
Important note for established streamers
changing your Twitch name will also change your channel URL – this means you’ll also have to update your social media profiles, inform your sponsors and change any third party link pages such as StreamerLinksThis is easily missed but can have huge knock-on effects.
Twitch also noted in their release blog that if you want to keep an eye on your old statistics, you’ll need to export them before changing your name.
Will I Lose My Twitch Followers If I Change My Name?
No – nothing will change here. The only rare issue you’ll have is if you’re changing the first few letters of your name, people won’t be able to find you as easy when using Twitch’s search function. For example, lets say B0aty changed his name to Boaty, removing the 0. Twitch doesn’t recognize leet speak, so the channel wouldn’t appear in the search. This won’t be an issue if the searcher is already following your channel though.
So there you have it! You should have now figured out how to change your name on Twitch. It’s a very simple change, which you’re allowed to do every 60 days.